Saturday 7 March 2009

The curious case of the high jacking of WIR

With my bingo scorecard in hand I headed for the Women in Rails conference on Sophia in my suit. The bookings were full and crowds of women still tried to get in just by rocking up. The honourable Minister of Transport, Jeff Radebe (shown above) arrived late so the women entertained themselves by singing religious songs. The conference was going well until during Douglas’s speech were the microphone suddenly stopped working. I had my MP3 player blearing in my ears and did not hear the problem until I saw everyone including the minister looking at me. Taking off my secret service earpiece realised what was going on. Of all people what do I know about sound? I rushed on stage to find that the batteries of the microphone had run flat. On the way to the sound booth I found two of the four roving mics. They were on but after tapping on mics no sound came through the speakers. On arriving at the sound booth with the video guy in tow we found no sound technician. He was just gone. Now we started to try identifying the two mics in my hand to all the complicated sliders and nobs not realising that because the mics were left on the sound technician had muted them. Not getting the mics working we set off to find the technician. After what seems ages we found him. He said he was busy looking for the roving mics. Yeah right. The problem was solved and off we went. The Minster finally got to speak and the conference went very political as I told you so. Every word on my bingo score was mentioned except one so I could not shout BINGO. The one word was COPE but it was close as he mentioned that "we are the real congress of the people". COPE is the break away party from the African National Congress which is called the Congress of the People which the ANC is unhappy about. After that it was question and answer time and the women complained about tender irregularities and why must they pay R1000 for a tender which Metrorail already know who is going to win it. It got quite heated and the women tried to drag the minster into it but he wisely stayed out of the fray. This is my one and only political rally of the year and I think the slogan of the upcoming elections should change from "Yes We Can" to "No You Can Not".

No comments:

Popular Posts