Friday 19 March 2010

Celebrity or not

Today was the bail hearing of Jub Jub, a local hip hop star and his co-accused who while street racing smashed into spectators killing four boys. The pair was racing each other in their Mini Coopers while apparently stoned and drunk. Now I am sure that finally puts Mini drivers along with BMW drivers. Thousands of school children went rampaging through the streets of Protea Glen, Soweto. And this is where I found myself travelling from a site visit at Naladi back to Metrorail. Our vehicle was stuck among of angry children. Rocks and refuse was dragged into the road and in front of us children were tearing down the road signage. I thought that we would be stoned for sure but our driver managed to find a way through along the side roads. Willie, one of the managers in the vehicle with me, said he was not fit any more to run. I said it doesn't matter as long as I could run faster than him. But we made it out in one piece. I did not take any photos of the angry children as not to provoke any one so I will leave you with a photo of the old power station in Orlando, Soweto. Notice the suspension bridge between the cooling towers from which thrill seekers bungee jump.

No comments:

Popular Posts