Saturday 5 November 2011

Johnny and Johnny



Why Johnny? Why two you may ask, well Matthew held a small lunch party with a few select friends at Northgate today and afterwards we went to watch Johnny English's latest film Reborn that was released a few weeks ago. Johnny English, played by Rowan Atkinson, is a James Bond styled secret agent, well an inept one at that. The kids, I include myself in that term :-P enjoyed the movie.

The other Johnny was the cherry on top of the cake. Due to Johnny Clegg's huge public demand after the sold out once off 30th Anniversary concert in Cape Town, it was decided to bring it to Johannesburg for a now not so once off concert with all the old surviving members of Juluka and Savuka playing on stage. His music career actually started 40 years ago when Johnny Clegg and Sipho Mchunu, a gardener formed a duo called well Johnny and Sipho. Later they formed the band called Juluka which means Sweat in isiZulu and was the name of Mchunu's bull. The band split in 1985 when Mchunu was recalled to his home near Kranskop by his tribal elders. Johnny went to form Savuka.

Wow it was awesome to see the two old men Mchunu and Johnny on stage, playing, singing and dancing. I doubt this will ever be repeated. It was an awesome evening with good music and history. For the record I want the song The Crossing to be played at my funeral.

I sing dela, dela ngyanya dela when I'm with you, dela, sondela mama sondela, I burn for you.

I think I know why the dog howls at the

No comments:

Popular Posts