Sunday 11 December 2011

It’s not goodbyes but till next time



Coming to Africa has one drawback. And that drawback is that Africa gets into your blood and makes it difficult to leave. If you do manage, Africa remains coursing through your blood calling you back.

My friend Karen, from Singapore stayed here for about a year and she is quoted on her blog "Story of Bing" "It's amazing what Africa does to a person"; "South Africa has wormed its way into my heart and I didn't realise that till now" and "I'm thankful for being in Africa. What I thought would be the worst year of my life has turned out to be one of the best. South Africa, you've changed my life." Then there is another friend Heather from the States who wrote on her blog "2 Summers" "I am fiercely, head-over-heels in love with you, Jozi. I've never loved any other city like I love you. And I'm determined to stay." So you getting the idea but one more just to seal it. Through Heather I recently met Martina from the UK and she wrote on her blog "Martina in Jozi" "I've only been here for 11 weeks but I feel Joburg getting under my skin. I love this place already." And this is only three friends who know what it feels like to get Africa in your blood.

And now the sad part, today we had to say goodbye to the V family who are heading back home to the States after four years here. Knowning them they would love to stay longer but the children will be starting university soon. But it is not goodbyes because Africa is in their blood now and they will be back. Ross said it very well this morning when he shared his thoughts when he first met Dwight, Shelly, Taylor and Cierra who left a cosy life in California to be tent makers in Africa, "When I first saw the Vs I thought that they didn't know what they getting into by coming to Africa but it was us that was not ready for the Vs." And how true was that. The Vs did an awesome work in Kya Sands Informal Settlement which was one of the hotspots of the Xenophobia attacks last year. You can see some of my photos that I posted on Facebook of the Kya Sands Informal Settlement here when Dwight and Shelly took a couple of Joburg Photowalkers through.

And the people gave them a standing ovation at today's farewell. So it is not goodbye but till we see you again Dwight, Shelly, Taylor and CC.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the mention, Jerome! You're certainly right about Africa, and Jozi in particular.

Popular Posts