Tuesday 6 March 2012

Ceri Dupree and the Ladies I Love


I regret nothing. Non! Je ne regrette rien. I joined a group of friends tonight to watch a Welshman turn himself into a gender illusionist and put on a beautiful frock built like a cheap hotel with no ballroom. Accused of being a dark horse, I joined my fringe friends to watch Ceri Dupree and his one man or was that how many women show called "The Ladies I Love" which opened tonight at the Fringe Theatre in Johannesburg. Soon to be in Cape Town.

Honestly, the first half was a bit under the belt for my liking but he had the audience rolling with laughter at Ceri's rude and very risqué comedy. Hello Possums, Ceri's impersonation of the gorgeous Dame Edna Everage with her wisteria hue hair and outrageous glasses was so good that I thought it was Barry Humphries himself at first. I can picture Dame Edna now on stage while a camera crew is going through my home looking for incriminating stuff to show on telly. Dame Edna once said "My mother used to say that there are no strangers, only friends you haven't met yet" How true are those words, my possums, as Dame Edna goes through my drawers.

Now the second half of the show is where Ceri Dupree blew us away literary. I mean he had Robyn in tears. Here is Robyn with Shaida, photographed earlier. Hope you don't mind a little side track but doesn't Robyn look like she is putting on some extra pounds? I mean wow Shaida's waist is smaller than my one of my biceps. Anyway enough on the side track, Robyn was in tears with Ceri's performance of Robyn's favourite singer, Édith Giovanna Gassion or also more famously known as Édith Piaf. Ceri had the sparrow's mannerisms down to a T as he sang Je Ne Regrette Rien.

Oooh I mustn't forget how he also had us rolling with laughter as he did a perfect rendition of Amy Winehouse's song, as they tried to make me go to rehab, I said, "No, no, no!" So Yes, no regrets, the show is worth going to see, but be aware it is an adults only show. Oh and if you ever get to read this blog, Ceri, I am the one with the goatee in the third row that you had a dig at about some website that you saw me on. Well maybe it wasn't the website you originally thought but this one.

Non! Rien de rien
Non! Je ne regrette rien
Car ma vie, car mes joies
Aujourd'hui ça commence avec toi!

No comments:

Popular Posts