Tuesday 29 May 2012

A Tree


I loved you: and, it may be, from my soul
The former love has never gone away,
But let it not recall to you my dole;
I wish not sadden you in any way.

As the winter veld fires rage outside my cottage, I wonder at the sprawl of trees that stand in the path of the flames. And of the trees that have become the city of Johannesburg. It is known to be the largest urban forest in the world. Interesting fact that has become. I have heard it said in learned corridors that the micro climate of Johannesburg is changing due to its large amount of trees. We are starting to see bird species not normally found here and not to forget bush babies.

I loved you silently, without hope, fully,
In diffidence, in jealousy, in pain;
I loved you so tenderly and truly,
As let you else be loved by any man.

It seems I am still in that place with bad company. I took this photograph this evening with my cellphone and used one of the phone's filters to get the effect while taking the shot. It is of a steel tree about a metre in height hanging on the wall of Gary and Tracy's home in Riverclub. This poem by Pushkin is one of my favourite poems along with the Stolen Child by Yeats which part is quoted yesterday.

No comments:

Popular Posts