Wednesday 19 March 2014

Saint Jerome


Yes, now you know, I have been canonized as a Saint. Uhmmm, well sadly this is not me but Eusebius Sophronius Hieronymus or Saint Jerome, who was born around 347AD in the town of Stridon which is situated in the Roman province of Dalmatia or now days Croatia.

Far, far away, from Croatia in Houghton Estate, Johannesburg, is the St Jerome Croatian Catholic Church. Patron saint of many Slavics, Saint Jerome is known to be the first to translate the Bible from Aramaic and Greek into Latin. Although Latin wasn’t the language of the masses, it was a big step in spreading the Gospel.

In English, my name Jerome, means Holy man, which in a way makes me a saint. Before you argue against that, it is by God's grace not by my name, that I call myself a saint. Yes I am not perfect in any respect but covered by His grace I can stand tall. Father Ivica Strčić from Jeronima in Croatia, gladly showed me around this small but beautiful church in the leafy suburb of Houghton. Drinking in all that I saw, this name, Jerome, I don't wear lightly.

No comments:

Popular Posts