Friday 8 May 2015

Water and Fire!


I have been keeping my head above water and ever so slowly heading for the shore but this year so far has been the worse and now I find myself under the surface. Not sinking yet but just below.

Water! Surrounded by Water!

This week my body ached, and I steadily felt tired. By Friday, today I was exhausted. Not the workload but by now I knew I wasn’t 100% well. Just before four in the afternoon, I headed for Benoni for my bi-weekly three and a half hours drive to pick up my son.

Fire! Surrounded by Fire!

After picking up Matthew and heading back for home, we saw the veldt on fire just outside Benoni. The winter grass fires that are so common up here in the Highveld were burning a ring of fire. On seeing the ring of fire, my mind went straight to the song of Johnny Cash, the Ring of Fire. Now I couldn’t get that song out of my mind as we drove west. I went down, down, down, and the flames went higher.

Although by now all I wanted to do was get home, take medicine, and go to bed, but we had to stop and get some food so we stopped at a fast food outlet at Irene Mall which is halfway home. And this is where the flames rose so high that later on I thought I was in hell. We brought in my small man bag in which I kept my Samsung Tab 3 and my works iPad Mini, for safety reasons but it was then stolen off our table.

It burns, burns, burns, the ring of fire.

No comments:

Popular Posts