Saturday 10 September 2016

Aunty Rene


I had to ride across Johannesburg to Benoni to sign a document. This could be one of me few last rides of Scarlet, my red Vespa GTS300ie Super before she is sold. The weather was warm but with hot dry winds. The ride was great and on the way back I decided to stop over in Garsfontein to check up on my Aunty Rene whom I have not seen since the funeral of her late husband, Uncle Tony, earlier this year.

It was great seeing her again, catching up on all the family skinder, Afrikaans for gossip. And in the ways of the older generation, Aunty Rene insisted on making me some lunch to go with my tea.

It was days like this, she told me, when all her family were away doing a myriad of other things, that she misses Uncle Tony and feels so alone but it all changed when I arrived with a big smile bearing shortbread biscuits to make her day ever so brighter.

No comments:

Popular Posts