Tuesday 21 March 2017

Ngomfi Human Rights

Yip, that time of year again when South Africans take a day off a think about Human Rights or if you like me, spend time with family. Is Human Rights Day a one sided thing where majority of us dwell on the pass sacrifices that brought us our Constitution? It seems like, with news of some groups of the South African people being excluded from the remembrances.

But is it all that cracked up to be when there is still a lot to do to bring no discrimination and equality for all in this country of ours. Nelson Mandela told us that he had discovered the secret that after climbing a great hill, "one only finds that there are many more hills to climb. I have taken a moment here to rest, to steal a view of the glorious vista that surrounds me, to look back on the distance I have come. But I can rest only for a moment, for with freedom comes responsibilities, and I dare not linger, for my long walk is not yet ended."


We spent some of the day with family and I didn’t take many photos. Don’t ask me why, just didn’t. As I was leaving Robynne and Marko’s home, I saw the wire sculpture of a Hoopoe bird that was bought on Saturday and I quickly took a photo with my cellphone.

The African Hoopoe or as it is called locally the Ngomfi, is a symbol of friendship and South Africa needs to bring back the joy and love for each other. The ngomfi is a harbinger that you will have a visitor or a friend is coming to visit. It is the colour of beer which is why it is associated with celebration, drinking, and eating. We South Africans need to bring back the joy of breaking bread and sharing the umqombothi with even those to whom we discriminate against as we have many more hills to climb together.

No comments:

Popular Posts