Saturday 11 November 2017

Protea Hotel Clarens

Waking up in Clarens to the noisy construction of a new service station right next door to the Protea Hotel where we were staying after an upset tummy all evening, was not nice, not nice at all.


We arrived in Clarens late yesterday afternoon, and checked into the 4 star Protea Hotel by Marriot Clarens. After freshening up we took a lovely stroll around the square. The shops were closing but the restaurants and pubs were preparing for the weekend rush. We decided to have supper at the hotel as it looked agreeable after a long drive down.

Lynda ordered a beef lasagne and I, a chicken florentine served on a bed of cauliflower mash, oh how very Banting of me. Anyways how were we to know that this was to be the downfall of the day. The service was polished as to be expected of a 4 star establishment.


The food itself well, what can I say about the very overdone lasagne that was so dry that Lynda could not even get some of it down without copious amounts of grapetiser. The chicken looked good and tasted very good but once I got to the middle it felt like my knife was cutting through raw chicken. I stopped eating and had to fish for my cellphone to use the torch app to have an inspection of the chicken in the dimmed lights of the dining room.

It looked okay, but I was very unsure as I continued to cut into it. During the night my tummy had lots of things to say about the chicken. Luckily by the morning I was fine. Anyways we are not eating at the Protea Hotel again that is for sure. Now the unpleasantness cannot be said about the friendliness of the front of house staff nor the comfortable bed in the room except for me taking numinous trips to the toilet, we were well rested to enjoy this day in Clarens and surrounding areas.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

Dear Jerome,

Thank you very much for posting a review about your recent stay at the Protea Hotel by Marriott Clarens.

I appreciate you taking the time to chat to me over the phone regarding your stay, once again I am truly sorry to hear about your experience in our restaurant.

We hope to have the pleasure of welcoming you back to our hotel in the future.

Kind Regards,

Karen B
General Manager - Protea Hotel by Marriott Clarens

Popular Posts